- How To Use
The Pryme ultimate wheel pack will suit your cleaning and sanding needs from big to small, and will save you some cash compared to buying them separately.
This pack includes a total of 13 wheels and an adapter to mount the mini cleaning wheels on a die grinder.
The following wheels are included:
- 6" Large Fine Cleaning Wheel
- 6" Large Rough Cleaning Wheel
- 2.5" Fine Mini Cleaning Wheel
- 2" Fine Mini Cleaning Wheel
- 1.5" Fine Mini Cleaning Wheel
- 1" Fine Mini Cleaning Wheel
- 2.5" Rough Mini Cleaning Wheel
- 2" Rough Mini Cleaning Wheel
- 1.5" Rough Mini Cleaning Wheel
- 1" Rough Mini Cleaning Wheel
6" Flap Wheel in either 80, 180, or 320 Grit
2" Flap Wheel in either 80, 180, or 320 Grit
- 1" Flap Wheel in either 80, 180, or 320 Grit
The 6" wheels are for a bench grinder and the smaller wheels are for a die grinder.
Cleaning Wheel Info:
- Use the rough wheels for scratch removal and aggressive sanding, use the fine wheels for a smooth, brushed type finish.
- Works great for paint preparation too.
- Fine wheels are comparable to 400 grit sandpaper, rough wheels comparable to 180 grit sandpaper.
- Wheels are 3/8" thick.
- Max RPM: 25,000 for mini, 3600 for large.
- Best for aluminum, but can be used on steel, stainless steel, and brass with great results (steel and brass must be coated afterwards to prevent rust and corrosion).
- Adapter for mini wheels uses a 1/4" shaft size.
Flap Wheel Info:
- Flap wheels are best used for removing scratches or scrapes, and blending in casting marks.
- Works great for paint preparation too.
- Use 80 grit for blending in deep scratches and removal of casting material, 180 grit for light scratches, and 320 grit as a finishing wheel.
- Creates a consistent finish, with very little waves or warping.
- Leaves behind a brushed look, can be further finished with the cleaning wheels.
- Best for aluminum, but can be used on steel, stainless steel, and brass with great results too.
6" Wheel Specs:
- 1" wide
- Max RPM: 3600
- Available for 1/2", 5/8", and 3/4" buffer shaft sizes
Small Wheel Specs:
- 1" wide with a 1/4" shaft (best used with a die grinder, can be used on a high speed drill too)
- Max RPM: 25,000
Click on "Video" tab to see the wheels in use.
-Grinder tools not included
-Always wear a dust mask or respirator and proper eye protection while buffing!
Tags: Cleaning, Pad, Wheel, Scuff, Scotch, Abrasive, Sanding, Flap, Drum, Fiber, Buff, Buffing, Scotch Brite Wheel, Scotch Brite Pad, Abrasive Wheel, Abrasive Pad, Buffing Wheel, Buffing Pad
The 6" wheels are designed to be used on a buffing machine or bench grinder. They can be used on a machine with a 1/2", 5/8", or 3/4" shaft. For a buffing machine, you'll want at least a 1/2 HP motor that spins at least 3000 RPM. One with an extended shaft is best, so you have lots of clearance to buff your parts.
If you'll be doing lots of buffing, opt for a 3/4 HP motor. Also, a 2 speed (typically 1800/3600 RPM) machine offers more versatility and is a great option.
Personally, this is the machine I use (Baldor motor, will last a lifetime) Click Here
Some cheaper alternatives:
Eastwood Single Speed Click Here
Eastwood Dual Speed Click Here
Great Economy Buffer Click Here
If you have an existing machine but need the big washers that hold the wheels in place Click Here
If you need spacers for the wheel Click Here
To extend the shaft on your buffer Click Here
The die grinder wheels are designed to be used on an air die grinder or rotary tool that uses a 1/4" shaft. Could be used on a drill as well. The best results will come with them on a die grinder.
My recommended die grinder Click Here
Some cheaper alternatives:
Ingersoll Rand Grinder Click Here
Neiko Grinder Click Here
If you don't have an air compressor, here is a good electric die grinder Click Here
Lastly, whenever you're doing any sort of grinding or sanding you'll want to use eye and respiratory protection. Trust me, you do not want to be breathing in metal particles!
A great product for protecting yourself is this respirator Click Here
Alternatively, this is also a great respirator to pair up with safety glasses Click Here
Use these filters with the previously mentioned respirators Click Here
If you're doing lots of buffing, I'd recommend getting some sort of ventilation like this exhaust fan that I use Click Here
And of course, always a good idea to wear gloves Click Here
- Use the rough and lower grit wheels for scratch removal and aggressive sanding, use the fine and higher grit wheels for a smooth, brushed type finish
- Remove as much grease, oil, and dirt as you can before using the wheels, so you’re not contaminating them.
- Sand or buff in the same direction if you’re going for a brushed look. Intersecting scratches do not look good.
- Try to buff evenly across the part so you don't end up with dips or low spots.
- Use light pressure with the wheel or you'll wear it out prematurely. If you need to apply heavy pressure, you should go to a more aggressive wheel. Refer to buffing chart below.
- Applying a lubricant such as WD40 or Maxima MPPL to the part during sanding will help acheive a smoother finish.
- In order to make the wheels last as long as possible, stay away from sharp edges. The direction of the wheel should be spinning away from an edge and not towards it. Adjust the orientation of the part accordingly.
- The sweet spot to buff on the wheel is between 4 and 5 o’clock. Look at your buffing machine from the left side, and picture where 4 and 5 o’clock are on the wheels. That is where you will want the part to touch the wheel when buffing.
- Refer to the buffing chart below for the proper wheels to use with each metal type, as well as the steps to achieve the desired finish.
- If you have problems achieving a good finish, refer to the troubleshooting guide below.
- Always wear a dust mask or respirator and eye protection while buffing!
- A clear ceramic coating will protect your part after buffing.
- Steel and magnesium parts must be protected with a coating, bare steel will rust quickly and magnesium corrodes in a matter of hours. Stainless steel and aluminum can be left bare without corrosion issues, as long as you keep the parts clean and out of the weather during storage.
- To achieve a consistent brushed look on larger parts, finish it by hand with a hand pad, going in the same direction you were buffing in.
Love the quality, the customer service and attention to detail. Thanks Pryme!
Thanks for the great review Orin! Happy to hear you're satisfied with the products and customer experience.
This is a Pryme Example why the products you sell make every bike look better than factory. Check out the broke to built.
Thanks for the great feedback on the products Dustin! Your business is much appreciated.
Great products and even greater customer service. Cam is the man and a big inspiration in more ways than one... If you're into any sort of bike restoration (or just upkeep in general), these cleaning wheels are awesome. They literally make parts look better than new, and all the various sizes make it super easy to clean both large and small parts, as well as to get into all the little nooks and crannies.
I use these on my dirt bikes, Harleys, and whatever metal parts need cleaning or refurbishing. You can bring basically any metal piece back to life and save yourself hundreds of dollars in not having to replace parts that look worn or crusty. And if you've been doing any sort of scrubbing and polishing by hand with various scotch brite pads, these wheels will save you hours of time in the shop with even better results.
On top of that, finding these types of abrasive/cleaning wheels in store is really difficult (at least in my experience), and a lot more expensive if you're buying them individually...
Thanks for the awesome review Brent! It means a lot to have your support of Pryme and to hear your feedback on the products. Your CR looks great too! Hope to work with you again soon.
Pryme MX nailed it with these wheels! Makes cleaning easy and honestly.... fun. An easy way to make an old part look new. Even made a custom stand to hold my grinder and large wheels, painted Beta red!
Thanks for the great feedback Chase! Happy to hear the products are doing the trick for you! Great work on that stand too.
Watching a video is one thing but 15 minutes using these pads on a 57 year old wheel hub made me a customer for life . I never dreams how easy it would be to polish and restore parts that have been neglected for over 50 years .
Thanks for the great review Jim! I'm happy to hear the wheels have been doing the trick for you. Your business is greatly appreciated.